Melbourne, I really miss you.

Queen Victoria Market, also called "Vic Market", is one of the must-visit places in Melbourne. Just catch any trams heading north along Elizabeth Street (Tram no 19, 57, 59) or William Street (Tram no 55). Alternatively, take the City Circle/Free Tourist Tram (Tram no 35).

IMG_8170

Untitled

If you're looking for a dirt-cheap fresh seafood in Melbourne, Queen Victoria Market it is. This is actually my first time eating cooked tiger prawns and fresh oysters in the Cafe Court. There isn't a sign saying no outside foods, but to make myself feel less guilty, we've bought 2 sets of breakfast meal from the court tenants too.

The seafood? I never had such a satisfying-fresh oysters ever in my life! Only costs me 6.50aud for half a dozen. The lemons are complimentary, no extra charge! Tiger prawns costs 29.50aud per kilogram. I get about 7-8 prawns at 10aud. Every stall sells about the same thing, you just got to find those few who sell cooked tiger prawns and fresh oysters.

Untitled

Other than good coffee, Melbournian are pampered by a variety of juices too! This Market Juice has not existed when I was there in year 2011 and 2012. Things have changed. Not a big fan of juices, in fact, coffee is my love.

Untitled

Still the same old colorful vegetable stalls but with a hot new guy lol. This time around I did not cook. Back then, I got vegetables and fruits once a week from Vic Market. Melbournian are nice, there was once I'm craving for a home-cooked vegetables soup, so I bought an onion, a tomato and a carrot. The guy asked for 80 cent only from me! He possibly thought I'm a student.

Untitled

Local wines. I love drinking wine with a glass full of ice cubes, I know it's not the proper way to taste wine. Well, you just gotta find what suits you best, no?

Melbourne 2014

Any cake-baking enthusiast here? You can basically get all your baking ingredients here, and always feel free to ask for recommendation too, might find something new.

Untitled

Untitled

Market Lane Coffee is a new thing to me too! The coffee aroma is very tempting, there are regular customers lining up to pay for their coffee beans. This girl in the photo above is good and know her products very well. I am actually enjoy listening to her introduction about the coffee beans.

Untitled

Untitled

Spring means admirable plants and beautiful flowers! Just with a 10-20aud you can get a bouquet of roses. Not forgetting to mention that, roses here are aromatic and definitely last longer than our roses because of the cozy weather.

This is a spontaneous trip to Melbourne and no ground tour was booked on the arrival day. While I was thinking where to, the boyfriend's parents suggested Melbourne! I am extremely thrilled! I was like, for real? I've been to Melbourne Zoo for the third time, still feeling excited about it. Melbourne Zoo? ON!

Untitled

Hop on to Tram 55 at Queen Victoria Market tram station and hop off at Stop 25 - Melbourne Zoo. Melbourne Zoo is just 10 minutes away from CBD. My suggestion is to get some fruits, sandwiches, and juices from Vic Market, then you are good to go for a picnic in the zoo!

Well, it was the first day of school holidays, the queue is massively long! The ticket is $30.80 per adult, senior citizen (over age 60) is $27.70.

Melbourne 2014

The boyfriend had chose to visit the Big Cats area as our first stop. This is an elegant snow leopard, also the only snow leopard I've seen that is awake, lol. Next one is Lion - King of Jungle! But they were sleeping, all I can see is their fluffy hair and chubby paws.

Melbourne Zoo

2 years back, Melbourne Zoo had a Lion Park where they keep the big cats together in the same big cage, there was a overhead bridge above the cage where the visitors can view the clan from above. The Lion Park is under construction during our visit, what a bad news to me.

This is the closest shot of tiger I can get. Frankly speaking, I shot most of the photos using iPhone 5. I've brought along my Olympus EPL1 but seldom use it nowadays, iPhone will do most of the photoshooting.

Next, reptiles, anyone?

Untitled

Melbourne 2014

Melbourne 2014

It's not poisonous, aww, this frog is adorable, and fat.

Melbourne 2014

Melbourne 2014

One thing I love about Melbourne Zoo is the ambience. Colorful plants, bird chirping, clean environment, not forgetting to mention, no crying babies and melted ice cream on the pathway. No terrible odour too. Some zoos do sell overpriced bottled water. Pay the money or dehydrated, pick one. In Melbourne Zoo, benches and drinking water machines are stationed at every corner in the park, I get cold drinking water for free!

So, next one is Kangaroo Park!

Melbourne 2014

See the guy in yellow? He pays quite an amount to get closer to the kangaroos, the one in green takes photography of him petting the kangaroos. This needs to be booked in advance thou.

Melbourne 2014

My version of photoshooting-with-a-kangaroo, #seemslegit.

Untitled

No, it's not kangaroo, it's wallaby. Can you see the little wallaby there in the pocket? Aww.

Untitled

This emu walk in the park freely #likeaboss.

Untitled

Sleeping wombat! Remind me of my fat pugs at home.

Untitled

A beautiful peacock walks freely in the park! I didn't realize he was walking after me until a group of kids yelled PEACOCK! I was like, where where where!

Melbourne 2014

Untitled

To be frank I never seen a peacock walks freely in front of me. We actually urged the boyfriend's dad to snap a photo of the peacock because none of us dare to get any closer, haha.

Melbourne 2014

This is one hell of a giant tortoise. I was thinking how to bring this giant back to the cage after the park hour. Lure it with carrot?

New park! Guess who is residing in this newly built residency?

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Lemur! "I like the move it, move it!" Many of them but I just managed to snap one as we are rushing to visit gorilla!

Untitled

The leader of this clan passed away not long ago. I believe the one in this photo is the new leader of the pack. He was chasing after a smaller-sized gorilla, poor thing. Gorilla is one of my favorite residents in Melbourne Zoo. If you're lucky that day, the gorilla will sit just right in front of you behind the glass.

Koala,

Untitled

Untitled

Umm he seems tired. And well-balanced too.

Untitled

Koalas are huge fan of sleeping, they could sleep up to 22 hours a day! They wake up in between to feed themselves, or just to stretch the muscle. I stood there for almost 30 minutes just to wait for the koala to move, my wish has granted, thank you Mr Koala.

Untitled

Meerkat! They are so adorable!

Untitled

"When there's a will, there's a way; don't lose your faith" kind of look.

This time around I don't get to see devil and red panda. We were a little bit rush though, reached the zoo at noon, we have about 5 hours only to explore the park, trust me, you need more than 5 hours to visit all the zoo residents. My previous visits had sufficient time to see all as I reached the zoo at before 10am and there wasn't a long queue at the entrance.

Will I visit Melbourne Zoo again? Definitely!


P8311979 All the photos are taken using an Olympus EPL-1. Passionate in lomography and traveling. Appreciate your supports and thank you for reading this post, kindly leave footprints at my facebook page. Roslyn Kong at Instagr.am. Let me hear from you on Twitter too at @roslynkong!!