My last weekend of 2018 is well spent with great food, best companionship and positive vibes, which is a good ending before we welcome the 2K19! We made few stops between Seremban to Malacca town, we are lucky that the weather is moderately sunny and windy, no flash flood and steamy hot breeze. I drive a small car, so with a MINI Countryman, I can have a road trip with more than 2 passengers in a car. My boyfriend organised this whole trip free and easy, from point A to point B, the routes are nicely planned and it's petrol cost efficient. We made an exit at the Alor Gajah toll, and our first stop was

1. Warung Hijau Rojak Sotong

Road Trip Food Trip

We reached around 4:15pm. Any order will not be entertained until 4:30pm sharp, the kitchen helper will go around accordingly taking orders so we do not need to queue up at the counter.

We ordered the famous "Rojak Sotong Jumbo" and shared among three of us as we just had a quick lunch in Seremban. The waiting time takes about 20 minutes and our order is served!

(On a side note, a plate of Jumbo Squid Rojak is more than enough for two, don't ever order one for each of you, you'll cry)

Road Trip Food Trip
THIS.  RM44 per serving.

Look at the thick gravy. Personally I think the fried squid tastes better if served plain without the gravy. It's too spicy to my liking but my boyfriend loves it! For those who are not a spicy food lover, fret not, you may have iced and warm water at no charge.  I dipped the fried squid into a cup of warm water and woalaa! Do you how difficult it is to cook squid at its best chewiness? This plate of "Rojak Sotong Jumbo" is 9.5/10 to me if it's not of the spicy gravy. Its tenderness is just... spot on!

Besides "Rojak Sotong Jumbo", they have seafood mee goreng, char kuey tiow, otak-otak, satay and more. Before you come, always check their Facebook Page as they will update the business hours from time to time. They are off every Monday but if it falls on a public holiday, they are open for business. Just in case, check with them and don't disappoint yourself with wrong timing. Alright next!

2. Coconut Shake Batu Berendam (free refill of coconut water)

Road Trip Food Trip

Have been recommended by the locals and we found this stall finally!

Road Trip Food Trip

Waze leaded us to a housing area, took us few turns before we spotted this stall located just at the road side. The road is jammed but we are lucky to have a parking spot otherwise we would need to give it a pass so we don't miss our next stop due to time insufficiency.

Road Trip Food Trip
A mountain of coconuts

Road Trip Food Trip
At the food court with a variety of food.

Road Trip Food Trip
THIS IS GOOD. RM2 for one cup.

Keropok lekor, my all time favorite since high school! This stall made on of the many best keropoks I had in life, it's a perfect combination of sweet chilli sauce and crispy rich keropok lekor. It's taste so heavenly good compared to the one I bought from the jeti going Redang Island and it was a freaking wasted RM7 for a cup of gummy and tasteless keropok lekor.

Road Trip Food Trip
Free refill for coconut water.

Road Trip Food Trip
I ordered Coconut Shake (Special) with one scoop of Vanilla ice cream.

My first was the coconut shake at Pantai Klebang. Waited for so long and its taste doesn't up to my expectation, but it was my first time so I assume coconut shake should be tastes just like that. And this stall at Batu Berendam, win!

3. Kuih Keria Antarabangsa (Haji Jalil & Haji Rahmah)

Road Trip Food Trip
famous traditional kuih made with sweet potatoes and gula Melaka

Road Trip Food Trip

We almost couldn't make it as it closes at 6pm. Kuih Keria Antarabangsa has many branches over Malacca, we went to this branch instead as this is the nearest ones from Coconut Shake Batu Berendam. We are lucky (again) that no long queue and we got our pack of Kuih Keria within seconds!

Road Trip Food Trip

This is the stall next to Avocado Choc. I wanted to get a pack but the queue is super long so I had to give it a pass, next time, there's always a next time.

Road Trip Food Trip
No fancy counter, just a simple wood table.

Road Trip Food Trip
I had 3 out of 5 kuih keria within minutes while it's still steamy hot.

4. Putu Piring Melaka (walking distance from Jonker Walk)

Road Trip Food Trip
Steamed rice cake with coconut and palm sugar/gula Melaka

I never try putu piring before but anything with coconut, shredded dried coconut and etc, is my boyfriend's favourite. He always remind me to get him a pack whenever there's bazaar Ramadhan, I've bought from few different stalls every time and he never want to have it for the second time. BUT THIS.

Road Trip Food Trip
Long queue.

Road Trip Food Trip
I wish they can put double of the palm sugar into my order.

Road Trip Food Trip
Everyone has an important role to make one putu piring.

Road Trip Food Trip
RM1.50 each and we ordered 5 pieces.

For first timer like me, just be careful of the shredded coconut. A piece of banana leaf underneath the rice cake hold the shredded coconut but you still need to press it using your hands otherwise the coconut will fall out all over the place. How does it taste like? Rice is plain, palm sugar is sweet and shredded coconut is salty. Perfect and mouth watery. Must eat it while it's steamy hot.

5. Ee Ji Ban Chicken Rice Ball (Halal - suitable for Muslims)

Road Trip Food Trip
We got lucky again for getting a parking spot.

This place is super packed with eatery places and cars. We are lucky that a couple just finished their dinner and we got their parking spot. I had one table in this shop before a group of travellers walk in. Timing just spot on yo, no time wasted.

Road Trip Food Trip
Total RM37.40 for 2

I had chicken rice ball from different places, I gib Ee Ji Ban 8/10, the best of all my Chicken rice ball experiences. The rice ball is pingpong sized (slightly smaller than a golf ball) which you don't feel super stuffed with oily food after that. The fish ball soup is alright, the chicken is moderately tender, but most importantly the place is clean and tidy - no flies, offer more variety of dishes, such as fried vegetables, assam fish and more. And the cherry on top? Halal! Now I have a legit place to enjoy chicken rice balls with my Muslim friends.

6. Cendol Musang King, Taming Sari

Road Trip Food Trip

This is the easiest location to find, located just next to the Taming Sari tower. A variety of durians from Musang King, Red Prawn, D24 and more to choose from. I actually prefer Red Prawn but it's out of stock the time we arrived.

Road Trip Food Trip

Musang King is expensive and is famous for its rich flavour. Musang King is RM38 per serving and other durians are about RM20. I ordered D101 (never a fan of Musang King) instead. Its freshness? So so. The gula Melaka used is authentically tasteful, I love it! The corns add a pint of salty taste to it which I don't really like it. Cendol should be sweet, no?

7. Malacca Avocado Choc (next door to Kuih Keria Haji Rahmah)

Road Trip Food Trip
Queue again

Avocado drinks (aka hipster drinks) are so famous nowadays, my friends referring avocado as healthy drinks (consists of healthy fats which is beneficial to women). The moment when my boyfriend suggested avocado chocolate, I was like: "are you sure? I no like Avocado drinks".

Road Trip Food Trip


Untitled
Avocado Milo Kaw Kaw, RM9.90

I'm glad that I had it and wish I have it right now. Period.


8. Nyonya Laksa and Mee Siam, Bess Kopitiam

Road Trip Food Trip
We reached this shop around 11:38pm.

My boyfriend's grandma's house is just a stone's throw away, I have been to this shop for the past few years and never know that their laksa is highly recommended on internet. #bigfail

Road Trip Food Trip
Next morning after a good sleep at grandma's house

This time we ordered 3 dishes to give it a try. The famous nyonya laksa, mee siam and nasi lemak. While we are waiting for our meals, tourist vans come and go patronising this kopitiam. It took them about 20 minutes to serve all our orders, including roti planta and warm coffee.

Road Trip Food Trip
Nyonya Laksa. I prefer Ah Kao Laksa in Seremban - Temiang though.

Road Trip Food Trip
Nasi lemak in Malacca is commonly served with kangkung

Road Trip Food Trip
Mee siam.

I would say you may skip Bess Kopitiam if time is not sufficient. All three dishes are so-so, it's kind of plain and normal to my personal flavour. Melaccan prefer Mee Siam from another shop nearby which is more authentic and flavoursome. I'm gonna try it this coming Chinese New Year.

9. Yao Cha Guai, Mei Sin Cafe - Jalan Bunga Raya

Road Trip Food Trip
Chinese churros, best consumed while it is still warm.

Boyfriend's mother highly recommend this youtiao shop, she was a Melaccan born and bred before moved to Seremban. If you're not you tiao lover, it's alright, but you should not missed the Chinese traditional mouth washer (tong shui). This is like another level of tongshui that I ever tried, not because of the ingredients and prices, but how they boil it. Have you seen a peanut porridge like the one in the photo below?

Road Trip Food Trip
Red bean, green bean (colour significant to corn soup), and peanut porridge.

10/10 for tongshui! We decided to get two packs of you tiao and 3 tongshui (out of 6) the night before we drove back to Seremban. That was like after an eventful Saturday and Sunday of food hop-on hop-off, but we still manage to stuff everything in. You can skip the red bean but must try the green bean and peanut porridge.

10. Oysters and street cockerels, Jonker Walk (bonus!)

Road Trip Food Trip
RM15 for a plate of cockerels, RM18 for 4 pieces of oysters. 

Eh hallo, Jonker Walk is one of the must when you go Malacca during the weekends. Honestly I don't really patronise Jonker Walk everytime I'm in Malacca, this time I'm there for oysters and cockerels (convenient location, no?) The freshness of oysters is so-so, well couldn't expect much at this price. (reminds me of the dozens of oyster I had in Melbourne, I miss it so much now!)

Untitled

Two days of food trip (Saturday and Sunday) costs us about RM400 (including all the food we ordered, Ron 95 petrol, toll fees, and a parking fee of RM10 at the Jonker Walk). I'm driving a 2018 MINI Cooper S E-Countryman ALL4 PHEV, it comes with a small petrol tank (36 litre, less tank capacity compared to 2018 Mini Cooper S Amplified Version F56*). For the whole trip I used up about 3 quarters tank back and forth Seremban - Malacca - Seremban. I was on cruising speed of 110-120kmh most of the time in highway, better fuel consumption and comfortability for my passengers (no yelling and praying for life). Cost efficient, huh?

For your info, this E-Countryman comes with a EV charger but I never use it to charge, hahaha. I charged the battery while driving but honestly speaking, I'm not so sure when the battery kicks in. I used up 100% of the charged battery from Damansara to Seremban, at a high speed of 160kmh in highway.

In my humble opinions, the comparison of comfortability and driving excitement for MINI models are as below:

Theodore - 2013 MINI Cooper S R56 with MINI Connected & Harman Kardon audio system
Comfortability: 6/10
Driving Excitement: 8/10
Fuel Consumption: 6/10 (1600cc)

Thanos - 2018 MINI Cooper S F56 Amplified Version (JCW Pro Tuning Kit)
Comfortability: 5.5/10
Driving Excitement: 9/10
Fuel Consumption: 4/10 (2000cc)

2018 MINI Cooper S E-Countryman ALL4 PHEV
Comfortability: 9/10
Driving Excitement: 4/10
Fuel Consumption: 6/10 (1500cc)

2017 MINI Cooper S John Cooper Works F56
Comfortability: 5/10
Driving Excitement: 8/10
Fuel Consumption: 4/10 (2000cc)

2017 MINI John Cooper Works Clubman
Comfortability: 7.5/10
Driving Excitement: 3/10
Fuel Consumption: 5/10 (2000cc)

2017 MINI John Cooper Works Countryman
Comfortability: 9/10
Driving Excitement: 4/10
Fuel Consumption: 5/10 (2000cc)




*2013 face-lifted with MINI Connected MINI Cooper S R56 is (official data) 50 litres, while 2018 Mini Cooper S Amplified F56 is 44 litres. 



Japan 2014 Jack of all trades, master of none. A true believer of "Follow Your Passion", passionate in cars, technology, cooking, travel and designs; A hopeless romantic, I "awww" audibly for chessy lovey-dovey scenes; A frequent visitors to Disneyland and love almost everything about Disney. Search @roslynkong and #RFTtravelogue in Instagram to know more about me.  For blog collaboration, email me at kongroslyn@gmail.com