DID-FA-Cuisine-in-the-Dark-1024x378

Last Friday I went to an exhibit called Dialogue In The Dark, Jaya One with the boyfriend and some fellow bloggers. This is truly a memorable and meaningful experience to me and the boyfriend. I walked out from the dining hall speechless, the experience blew me away.

My group was the first one to enter the dark room. We are all provided a white cane at the start of the tour. Feelings of panic strike in when I am led into a dark room. Couldn't see anything, imagine you solely depending on all senses but sight. The dark room has different settings, first we were at the Kota Kinabalu National Park.

Imagine the bird chirping, feeling of fresh and cooling air, listen to the waterfall,  touching the leaves and bushes. It calm me down when our guide, Mimi kept saying:" Follow the sound of my voice." I could hear her voice but still bumping into somebody or something when I walked around. Knowing the fact that I was just temporarily visually impaired and the settings are properly planned, I knew that I was okay.

We went to a different area. It was set up as Chow Kit, a bustling road in Kuala Lumpur. I was surprised that I could adapt to the environment soon enough to realize that my sense of touch are stronger. I became cautious, try not to hit anything or anyone with my walking cane. Mimi handed me few things,  I was able to identify those things just by touching and smelling 'em, such as a pack of rice, spice, vegetables, and more. One of my team members could identify it was a Malaysia made automobile when we were told to touch a car. I can't do that, honestly speaking.

After this, we are all led to the dining hall. It was an odd experience because, Dining in the dark? Why on earth people purposely do that? While waiting for other groups to make their way to the dining hall, we had a casual talk among us. My eyes hurts and wanting to see the light so bad. Once all the groups are all seated, the dinner are served. One of my team members spilled her water, it was merely impossible to enjoy the meal because we couldn't see anything, I accidentally ate raw chillies, spicy until my mom can't recognise me. I was afraid to drink because I might drink somebody's lemongrass.

Mimi was extremely attentive throughout the dinner. She able to serve us the food and clean the plates in a completely dark room. My boyfriend was totally convinced that she is wearing a pair of night-vision goggles that's why she able to guide us to the correct paths without knocking down something.

Thai Food are served that night, well check it out.

Black

Black

Black

Black

No, I am not making fun out of it. Like I said, dining in the dark. Thinking about being blind, it would be terrifying if I was out on my own with no guide. There was once I met a blind man at a bus stop in Kuala Lumpur. He was asking for help if somebody could at least alert him when the bus has arrived. At first I thought the people at the bus stop would happily help him, I was surprised that nobody respond to him. I felt so sorry and angry; although I was on my way to the office but I decided to stay and wait until his bus arrived. I hold his hand and led him to the stair, although he turned down my offer to pay for the bus fare, and it was just a random act of kindness from me, he shed tears and thank me for million times.

I felt content and grateful after seeing him have a seat in the bus offered by a student. Although visually-impaired are the handicapped in our society, but in Dialogue In The Dark, we are the handicapped. After the dinner, small candles are lit on. We then realized that the guides that have been leading us in the darkness are visually-impaired person. I was awfully quiet when the guides are introducing themselves to us.

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." quoted from Helen Keller. That's the message, I know. Visually-impaired person are handicapped, but doesn't mean they are worthless, useless. The guides maneuver best in the darkness, their senses are stronger than us. Dialogue In The Dark teaches us that being blind doesn't mean you're incapable. Most of the guides had finished tertiary education and offered jobs by various companies.

It has been an amazing and meaningful dining experience with Dialogue In The Dark. I was glad that to be able 'to see' again. I've learned a lot from this experience. I learned that I take my sight for granted. Are you happy with your life? Are you reluctantly go to work, to school, dying from inside? I started to think about it myself too. I have a vision in life which is "avoid being regretful in life at all cost!" But am I really living my life to the fullest? Have I make myself productive? If these ever cross your mind, my suggestion to you, time to pay a visit to Dialogue In The Dark.

My guide, Mimi is holding the Churpie plush. (Photo courtesy to ohfishiee.com)


"Nothing to see but much to experience", if you are looking for a venue for company events, birthday bash, or a small group outings, check out Dialogue In The Dark for more information.

Dialogue In The Dark Experience Centre
100-P1-001, The School,
Block J, Jaya One,
72A. Jalan University,
46200 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

Tel: 03 5891 6212
Email: connect@did.my


P8311979 All the photos are taken using an Olympus EPL-1. Passionate in lomography and traveling. Appreciate your supports and thank you for reading this post, kindly leave footprints at my facebook page. Roslyn Kong at Instagr.am. Let me hear from you on Twitter too at @roslynkong!!