Travel date: December 2016 - January 2016

Untitled

There's basically nothing much for me to share about Ihwa Mural Village located in Ihwa-Dong, as there are plenty of bloggers had blogged about it.

I've been anticipating to explore this artsy-patsy neighbourhood since "Rooftop Prince". I became addicted to Korea drama ever since I watched Rooftop Prince, then The Heirs and the rest. It's a bad addiction that I spent most of my toilet break holding iPad watching dramas.

Untitled
Daehangno area

At Naksan Park, a steep walk up of slopes you'll find Ihwa Mural Village. First take the Seoul Subway Line 4, take off at Hyehwa Station and exit through Exit 2.

My hotel was located just opposite the Seoul Station thus I don't need a line transfer. Taking subway in Seoul need some research before hop-on-hop-off especially if you don't read Korean or Mandarin characters. English is not as common as what I expected in Seoul. The citizen hardly speak English and they weren't as helpful as Japanese, better to search for the direction and memorize the routes before you reach Seoul.

Untitled
The first sculpture once exited the station

Take a stroll down in the area commonly known as Daehangno. There are several universities around, walk straight once you exited the station according to the signboard showing Ihwa Mural Village. Turn left at Ihwajang-Gil and walk for another 400m.

Untitled
All sold out.

Along the street there's Starbucks too. I never Starbucks-ing while I was in Seoul, Melbourne, Hong Kong and Tokyo because there're more coffee shops to explore and try besides Starbucks.

Untitled
A dried out pool

Untitled
The first thing in my mind, why monkey?

The 'Welcoming Kitty' is one of the landmarks for your next turn, turn left and we we came to a small neighbourhood with rows of small shops.

Untitled
The Welcoming Kitty

There's traditional restaurant on our left sells Chicken Soup set at 5,500WON only! Korea is famous of its Ginseng Soup, my favorite is always chicken soup with rice, nothing can beat a warm soup with chicken broth and drumsticks, especially during the winter.

Untitled
The last photo before my camera fell to the floor and broke.

It broke my heart when my camera fell from the bench. Camera was broken! Luckily it still under warranty, I sent it to the Olympus service center in Mont Kiara once I'm back from Tokyo and settled down with my works. It took just a night for the repair and I received call for camera collection the next day, just days before the Chinese New Year, Olympus rocks!

Untitled
Seaweed soup is love!

Stomach is satisfied and time to walk uphill to reach Ihwa Mural Village.

Untitled
The first interesting mural art we saw while climbing the slope

Just a brief introduction of Ihwa Mural Village: In 2006, Naksan Project is carried out the Local Public Art Committee to improve the environment of Ihwa Village. As you can see from all the travel blogs and photos, many interesting art pieces installed and wall painting in the area. Since then Ihwa Mural Village has become of the tourist attractions in Seoul.

Untitled
Plenty of this plants in the city.

There's a board indicating the Mural Village Walking Tour Course on your right. Before we reached the first metal art piece, we came across an unique cafe and decided to pay it a visit.

Untitled
The decorative logs.

Untitled
The Entrance

Untitled
Wood and Metal.

Untitled
The coffee machine island.

Differently from all the cafes I've visited, the coffee machine is facing outside with the menu board hanging above it. Jazz Story is owned by a retired couple who had their son-in-law in charge for the interior design of this cafe.

Untitled
Coffee, tea or me?

Untitled
Waiting for the coffee brewing.

The wood and metal are installed piece-by-piece for a minimum of 6 months before the business starts.

Untitled
Cozy


Untitled
Caffe Mocha is in the house.

Untitled
First Caffe Mocha in Seoul

To be honest, the coffee wasn't cheap. The coffees cost around 6,000 - 8000 WON each. Some of you may think it's economical but it surely quite pricing for me, considering my favourite daily coffee costs me RM2.00 only. I had my coffee earlier thus I didn't order one but sharing it with my boyfriend. He's an ultimate coffee lover and sip up to 4 cups per day, which I think it'll compromise his sleep and health. But, anyways,

Untitled
The happy-face rooftop art!

Untitled
Identical art piece

Untitled
Father, son and a pet


Untitled
He thought I can't spot him


Untitled
Artsy?

Untitled
When my camera is not functioning


Untitled
Take a minute


Untitled
Some carvings on the rock


Untitled
A weird museum


Untitled
Inside


This 'museum' offers photography session where you can rent uniform and take photos in the village, alternatively, to take photos with girls in the black uniform.

Untitled
Bugs and a pink wall


Untitled
The coffee counter is closed.


Untitled
Many staircase.


Untitled
This is a neighbourhood and you are advise to keep your volume down.


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Bunch of teenagers posing at the staircase.

Like I mentioned, there are many stairs in this village. Make sure you are wearing a good pair of walking shoes.

Untitled
Roses.

Untitled
Running student

Untitled
This cartoon characters are so famous in Seoul and I practically can see them everywhere.

Untitled
Inspiration.

Untitled
So tempted to bring this orange bird home.

Took us about 2 hours to explore the art pieces. We skipped some of it unintentionally, in case you want to explore all, make sure to do some researches online and jot down the details.

I remember I took a photo with the famous spreading wing, but too lazy to retrieve it from the boyfriend's phone. :/

Untitled
#PassionPassport

Untitled
This cafe is closed too!

Untitled
Spot the cafe at the back of this sculpture, it's "Happy" in Chinese Character, which is my Chinese name too.

Untitled
University Park

Students are selling roses in this park. I've seen many are gathered under the Christmas Tree waiting for their friends, some of them play musical instruments and some of them are doing parkour, which are more interesting compared to magic show.

I became a little moody since my camera was broken, the boyfriend cheered me up by getting me a cute cup cover from Dunkin Donuts!

Untitled
Gaspard x Lisa


Untitled
Got Gaspard Cup Cover!


Untitled
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, I'm gonna nom you.


It was Christmas Eve, got no plan at all. It was my first time in Seoul and have no idea where to for the celebration, unlike in Tokyo, you'll see couples with flowers and gift boxes. Christmas Tree and decoration is everywhere, you pretty much feel like you're in a western country.

I decided to check out the illuminating rose field in Dongdaemon at night, want to know more, check out the next blog, kamsahamida!

P8311979 All the photos are taken using an Olympus EPL-1. Passionate in lomography and traveling. Appreciate your supports and thank you for reading this post, kindly leave footprints at my facebook page. Roslyn Kong at Instagr.am. Let me hear from you on Twitter too at @roslynkong!!